Saturday, November 19, 2011

Calling All Christians! -Pt 5

"My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." -Psalm 73:26 (NASB)

Well, we've covered a lot in these past several blogs. We discovered how as Christians we are held to higher standards in reference to our words, our judgment (or lack of) of others, and how we steward our bodies and flesh. We challenged ourselves (and possibly others?) to go out and serve God by taking an active role in ministry as well. Today we will cover the final piece to working all of these points together- our Source when it comes to all of this. Jesus MUST be our source of strength, renewal, and protection when it comes to living out the manner to which we've been called. Anything less, and we are bound to fall. When I first started the single dad ministry, I was pumped up! I had just given my life to the Lord a little over one year earlier, and definitely had no idea the work that lie ahead. Within about a year and a half, I became totally fried in the whole matter, and had to shut the group down for a while. What happened? Although I do believe that I was following God's will for my life, I also allowed many of the guys to dump all of their problems on me, and it drained me in every imaginable way. I tried to do too much, and got burned out. Now, don't get me wrong, ministry is a high calling and we are bound to put in some serious leg work sometimes, but the victory is through Christ, and it is He we must seek through it all.

The Bible tells us in Psalms 73:28, "But it is good for me to draw near to God..." (KJV) and in James 4:8, "Draw near to God and He will draw near to you..." (NKJV). Although this can be exercised in a variety of ways, I have two key words for you: "quiet time". I've said it a thousand times, add once more here. Nothing in the world can quite match up to true, uninterrupted, one on one personal time between you and God. Now, this doesn't always have to be in a prayer position on your bedroom floor. No, your drive into work everyday or a walk through the countryside can be just effective. The main point is that there are zero (or minimal) distractions where you can talk and listen to Him as He speaks into your life. The writer of Hebrews instructs us to "come boldly to the throne of grace..." (Heb 4:12), which means to draw near with confidence. God loves us, just as we are- you know that. He desires that personal relationship with us, for us to reach new heights that only He can bring us to. Our key to unlocking that potential is by dying to self and becoming obedient children, and giving our Father the love and time that He truly deserves. When we do, Jesus will become the only source of strength and refreshment we truly will ever need. Isn't it time you went and connected with Him today?

No comments:

Post a Comment