Monday, August 1, 2011

What Drives You?

Read Revelation 18:1-8

We live in a world driven by power and wealth. Throughout the Bible "Babylon" has been described as an empire against God and built for man's conquests (Genesis 11) to a prophetic city- one described by many metaphors in Revelation. As we read in the opening verses, Babylon has deceived the nations as a harlot, and the spiritual fornication includes many idolatries and abominations against the Lord. As I've been pondering what I would write for this blog, the answer suddenly came to me- and it has been in front of me for years. I'm talking about both my work environment and everyday situations I witness out in public.

At my job I work with several individuals who are driven beyond belief with the unattainable- satisfactory worldly possessions. One guy is so obsessed with work that he has forfeited everything else in life for it- including his personal relationship with the Lord, his wife, and kids. It's a vicious cycle of attaining money that he never spends- only driving himself so far down into an abyss of misery that there seems to be no end in sight. He wants to be "rich", but has sacrificed everything else for it. (See Matt 16:26) Another is sitting on a potential stock deal- and has even self-named the whole thing his "savior". Ouch. Finally, I am observing as another gentleman is watching his marriage corrode before his eyes, but makes no change in direction from his current life- just works, works, works. I asked him one time why he works so much, his answer? To pay all of his bills. He has a $2000/mo mortgage payment, plus a brand new full size truck, and so on. He works approximately 75-80 hours a week to maintain it all. So to sum it up- working while his marriage dissolves to pay for a house he's never in and a car that he rarely drives! In public I see the same thing: parents trying to be "super parent" and fill their kid's lives with toys and objects that many can not afford in the first place. Don't get me wrong, a child is definitely not going to say no to any of the above, but what he or she does not know- simple time and love from mom and dad would trump them all. They don't know- because it's never been presented to them.

The point I'm getting at is this: until we as parents are fully secure in our validation through Jesus Christ, we will not be able to pass it on to our kids. Yes, we must work to pay the bills, but are we living within (or below) our means? Have we ever just said, "No, sweetheart I can't buy that for you right now. But, when we get home I would love to play some hide and seek with you!" Paul tells us in the book of Philippians to "do all things without complaining and disputing" (2:14) and through prayer and supplication, lay it out before the Lord and "the peace of God which surpasses all comprehension" will come upon us. (4:6-7) WE must take the first step- and it begins at the cross. Are you living your life for your God, or for everything else? It's not a half-in, half-out option. You must be sold out 100% to the Lordship of Jesus Christ if you are to experience His full blessings- that starts with prayer and alone time with Him. It may sound difficult, even ridiculous, I know- I've been there. However, I can tell you that now that I'm on the other side- the submitted side, God leads me in every area in my life in ways I never saw before. He will do the same for you..."work out your salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure. -Phil 2:12-13 (NKJV)

No comments:

Post a Comment