Wednesday, March 2, 2011

True Rest

“Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and YOU WILL FIND REST FOR YOUR SOULS. For My yoke is easy and my burden is light.” –Matt 11:28-30 (NASB)


I have a close friend that I work with who recently lost his sister, Michelle, at the tender age of 47 after a long battle with diabetes. Now, I did not know Michelle personally, but after a great memorial service, I felt that I had a much better understanding of what a wonderful person she truly was. Michelle was a very upbeat person- the kind of woman that made everyone else around her better when she was near. Although she never had any kids of her own, Michelle also took on a motherly or mentoring personality over several individuals. She was strong in her faith and walked in a matter worthy of a Christ follower.

Eventually Michelle was struck with type 1 diabetes. Her body began to shut down, even to the point that she had to have one of her legs removed. Michelle would not let something like the loss of a leg slow her down, she even made jokes like, “I’m a foot shorter now.” She was a strong woman of faith and courage, and she passed in the winter of 2011.

My friend and I talked about Michelle’s life and passing at work; we prayed and thanked the Lord for the miracle of her life; and even though it is always hard losing a loved one- my buddy told me where he found the greatest peace in all of this. You see, near the end of her time here on earth, Michelle was living at home with her family. She would always fall asleep in the living room chair, but one day when her father went to wake her- she was gone. As he recalled the final day of Michelle’s life, my friend shared with me that Michelle had died with a smile on her face. She knew it was time to leave this world and a dying body. It was a time to rejoice as she was about to enter into the arms of her Savior, to a place where there is no more pain and no more tears, but only a love and comfort that we will all know one day. Michelle died with a smile on her face because she had finally found that eternal rest for her soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment