Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Loving the Unlovable

"The Lord's bond-servant must not be quarrelsome, but kind to all, able to teach, patient when wronged..." (2Tim 2:24)

Jesus Himself laid out the standard by which we are to carry this out. He endured persecution, punishment, betrayal, and pain in ways that we could never imagine. So what happens when we confront these issues in our daily lives? It may even be something small and insignificant, but it dwells within us until we blow. Or maybe we've been treated unjustly, perhaps by someone who really knows how to push our buttons, and not only attack us- but use others close to us in the process (like our kids).

I personally experienced this a few weeks back. I won't go into detail, but I will say I was falsely accused in a situation that involved me and my daughter, without anyone ever confronting me on the issue. They just went behind my back and blindsided me. Naturally my first reaction was anger, but through the power of the Holy Spirit, I ran to my room (I have a cross on the wall), fell on my face and cried out to God. I admit I was mad, crying, and shaking all at once- but the comfort of Jesus fell upon me (Phil 4:7). I called my mentor and we talked; I prayed, and turned it over to God. The next day I woke- but filled with anger! It took a good portion of my week to finally let it go, which obviously in the long run, drained me in every possible way.

You see, I knew what I had to do- turn it over to God and move on, but I struggled. This is where we MUST have God's Word rooted so deeply within us that when situations arise, we can combat them in a peaceful way. Don't get angry (Prov. 15:18, 19:11); Don't be vengeful (Rom. 12:19); Forgive and move on (Luke 23:34, Matt 6:14); Rejoice! (1Peter 4:12-13, 5:10, John 16:33); and finally- Love (2Peter 1:5-7). Please do me a favor- look these scriptures up, don't just read this blog. There are so many more verses that we can apply, but this is a great start. Jesus set the standard on forgiveness and love- let's honor Him by living in Him. (John 15:5, 1John 4:4)

No comments:

Post a Comment