Saturday, September 20, 2014

Random Thoughts for Today


My mind has been going all week with everything I currently have on my plate: some things require my immediate attention, others are months down the road; but yet, I am still on the inside. God has really been talking to me this week, revealing Himself through others, His Word and a book I am reading. I have been getting some good one on one time with my daughter lately, but sometimes I feel as if we aren’t “clicking” like we used to. She’s growing up fast and I know that. Days and times I could usually bank on for spending time with her are slowly being replaced with sports, dance, and friends. I’m not alarmed though, because we have an amazing relationship and I know all is not lost.
This morning was bittersweet. I attended one of here cheerleading games and my heart was pounding with Daddy pride as I watched her cheer away; but also filled with heartache as her mom, stepdad, and the rest of their family sat on the other side of the bleachers. My daughter definitely paid more attention to them being there, but did come over to my side of the railing a couple times to talk with me and steal my water bottle. Even though we did not converse much, I knew my being there mattered. I kept playing in my head the fact that one day she may sit back as an adult and realize, You know, my dad was always at my games. In fact, he was always at almost everything I participated in. She may realize this when I’m still alive and thank me for it; she may realize it after I’m long gone; or it may never occur to her at all. Doesn’t matter, because I am doing what I am supposed to do: being a dad.
As grateful as I am to God for all He has blessed me with, my heart still breaks for the dads out there who don’t get to experience these sorts of days as often as they should. Even more so, the Lord has put a flame in my heart that keeps growing for fatherless youth - and I keep pondering, What am I going to do about it? I also fast forward to the possibility that I may one day be able to have a full family of my own. My daughter will always be my firstborn, but I have completely entrusted her to God and realize that I am not the one who is ultimately in control of her life- He is. If in fact I DO get married and have more children, then I am in a covenant with God to love, lead, and steward them all to the best of my ability.
So yeah, I do have a lot going on─ and it shows no intent of slowing down. But I (we) MUST slow down; because if we allow the hype or drama of life to control our course, then we may fall off the path that has been so graciously laid out for us.

A man’s heart plans his way, but the Lord directs his steps. –Proverbs 16:9 (NKJV)

No comments:

Post a Comment