Monday, July 8, 2013

A Life With or Without Christ


But each one is tempted when he is drawn away by his own desires and enticed. Then, when desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, brings forth death. –James 1:14-15 (NKJV)

A guy I have known for multiple years passed away this week- the result of suicide. At one point I was very good friends with him, his ex-wife, and their now 16 and 20 year old girls. Although it’s been a while since he and I have spoken, my mind has been wandering as to what brought about this tragedy and why he saw no way out. Here’s some insight:
I knew this man and his ex while they were still married and the girls were young. I watched as the marriage unfolded- a good portion of it to his drinking, violence, and adultery. I am wondering, as the verse above states, if he had become so entangled in sin that it led to his final decision. I recently learned at the visitation that he had made a decision for Christ and was baptized, but sin knows no boundaries and has no mercy. Jesus tells us in John 10:10 that our enemy’s number one goal is to steal, kill, and destroy. “Sin…brings forth death.” (James 1:15)

I am also troubled with another thought: If I had perhaps shared the Gospel with him in years prior, could all of this been avoided? Of course I don’t blame myself for what happened, but as I read Jesus’ parable of the rich man and Lazarus (Luke 16:19-31) today, I was given a very clear picture of just how vital it is for every breathing human being to hear the Good News of Jesus Christ and that it is too late once we leave this world for the next.

With that being said, I encourage all of us to examine ourselves and ask the Lord to bring to the surface anything that is hindering us from witnessing to others (Psalm 26:2). I will continue to pray for this man’s family and their healing, but also for God to keep this fresh in my mind too so I don’t miss another opportunity to save a life- for eternity.

It is for freedom that Christ set us free… -Gal 5:1 (NASB)

No comments:

Post a Comment