Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Who's to Blame?

One generation shall praise Your works to another, and shall declare Your mighty acts. -Psalm 145:4 (NKJV)

I overheard some guys at work talking this week about how lost and delinquent the current generation of youth is.  Since I am also in teen ministry myself, I decided to include myself in the conversation.  I asked them who they really thought was to blame.  I went on to say that since all babies are born relatively the same and their only two major needs and desires in life growing up are to be loved by their parents and to play, their actions must have been taught from somewhere else.  Sadly, each generation IS responsible for the next, and it begins at home with our own children.  We have created an over-sexed, under-moral, virtual, and hopeless world- and our kids are becoming the victims of our choices.  As fathers, despite what type of upbringing and home environment we may have come from, it is OUR job to raise, train, and grow our children not only in the Lord, but to also prepare them for life in general.  Anything short and we miss the mark.  Whether you are a single father or not, I am challenging ALL dads to begin to search for ways to connect with your children.  If you have older kids or adult children, this may be a bit more difficult, but definitely not impossible.  There may be some tough talks, a huge swallow of humble pie on our part, and tears, but God has equipped us to be strong in these type of situations. (2Tim 1:7)  As I wrote in my book and will repeat here, Jesus commands us to go and make disciples; well, it begins at home with our kids.  They're waiting Dad.  Seek God today through prayer and His Word to find everything you need to become a godly father and help raise a godly next generation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment