Sunday, May 6, 2012

Get Soaked!

"Surely the righteous will give thanks to Your name; the upright will dwell in Your presence." -Psalm 140:13 (NASB)

One of the newest tools I have recently added to my walk is "soaking sessions".  A soaking session is basically just that- a time of worship, prayer, and basking in God's presence.  It is much more intimate than just going into your prayer closet, it is a time for both the natural and the supernatural and waiting on God to move.  Soaking can be done alone or with others in the room, but the main point is to remain focused on what God is speaking to you by staying keen to the Spirit. 

There are even Cd's available with very soft (often without words) music to create an atmosphere of worship.  An individual is welcome to pray both in their native and unknown language, to be still as long as they feel led, and to pray/petition with God to do the supernatural.  I personally choose to put on the soaking music and lie on the floor with a pillow (and sometimes a blanket).  I will start out by reading some Scripture (often from Psalms), release a prayer, and then lie on my back and just absorb all that is going on around me.  My main prayer every time I soak is to calm my heart and to make my mind still- to block out all that is going on in my life and allow God to take control.  It's even getting to the point that I fall asleep the majority of the time I soak, but I wouldn't say that's a bad thing.  I find that when I wake the next day, my demeanor is extremely calm, and I feel completely at peace. 

I would encourage you to begin to seek this out in your own life.  Do some research on it and grab a few Cd's.  Most of all, EXPECT an encounter with God each and every time you soak.  God inhabits the praise of His people and will draw near to us as we draw near to Him (James 4:8).  When we walk in obedience with our Lord, He is faithful to hear and answer our prayers.  Make the attempt to add a soaking session into your walk regularly, and wait on God to do the amazing in your life. 

2 comments:

  1. This was perfect for me tonight, at a time where my thoughts needed to settle and my heart needed healing, I cried it out to worship music. I was able to speak with God on a much more personal level then I have in a long time about things that were troubling me and things I didn't even realize we're hindering me. To feel God's presence wrapped around you while healing the hurt is indescribable, thank you for sharing your soaking session. I believe this is going to be part of my life from now on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing this. Soaking makes a HUGE difference in my life when I do it. (I need to do it more often!) Here is a link to a guy who is big into soaking: http://www.garyoates.com/.

      Stay blessed as you seek the Lord and His perfect will for your life.

      Delete