Thursday, June 23, 2011

The 4 o'clock Crash

"He gives power to the weak, and to those who have no might He increases strength...But those who wait on the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up on wings like eagles, they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint." -Isaiah 40:29, 31 (NKJV)

How does the middle of the day treat you? Are you like so many millions (myself included) who just CRASH physically and mentally about mid-day? Based on my personal experiences and schedule- I usually start hitting a wall somewhere between 2 and 4pm. I also find that it is at these times that I am very prone to spiritual attacks. When we are tired, our defenses are down. We have an enemy who does not fight fair, often he's such a coward that he will only attack a strong Christian when we are at our weakest. Although we are born again and live by the Spirit, we are still very prone to human weaknesses such as exhaustion and sickness. When I'm in one of these states, I see the flesh act up more. My eyes sometimes fail me; my language may go south a bit; and all too often during these times, my attitude does not uphold to the standard that has been set for us.

Thank God that He sent Jesus to die in our place to save us from our (as Paul says) "wretched" selves! God is faithful to cleanse us from all unrighteousness if we confess our sins (1John 1:9). However, it is our job as well to "condition" ourselves for times when we are at a weak point, or when more difficult and unexpected circumstances pop up. (See my blog entitled "The Spiritual Workout" for a better description of this.) As I (we) grow stronger in our walks, we will be better equipped to remain in the Spirit and not give in to the flesh. Yes, we're human- but no, we do not have to succumb to our flesh. The flesh is extremely strong, but He's stronger in us. (1John 4:4) Spend quaility time with the Lord. Get into the Word and prayer regularly and faithfully. When you do, you will find a strength deep down inside of yourself that you may have never known before. Listen to Paul's words to the Corinthians: "...I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified." -1Cor 9:27 (NKJV)

So the next time you start to hit a mid-day (or whenever) crash, pause and recognize the moment. Take a minute to step back and listen to God. Talk to Him and ask Him for that strength and focus that only comes through the cross. It will be victories such as these that will continue to lay brick after brick on the foundation of Rock you are building in Jesus Christ!

No comments:

Post a Comment